Hello World French hosts a huge set of French games designed for children and the way that children learn. Immersion seems to be the key! All of the phrases and words that they hear are spoken by native French speakers and elements of culture are included as appropriate. There are more than 700 free French games and activities including songs, cultural items. conversations and step by step lessons. The supplied free French dictionary could be useful too!
Reasons for learning French – the site informs:
- 15 countries, including France have French as their official language ( 33 countries in all)
- In excess of 200 million people speak French.
- Many of the words used in cooking, fashion, art, theatre, dance, and architecture are French.
- French is one of the official languages of the United Nations.
- French is one of the most important languages used by diplomats.
Regarding the activities, they claim:
“The language learning activities at Hello-World are especially for children and the way children learn.
Every activity must be educationally sound and engage the children. Research shows that children learn best when they are having fun.
We use Cognitive Immersion. Immersion works! It’s how kids learn their first language. In every activity, the child will hear sounds to match what they do and see.” (Hello World)
The step by step lessons include salutations, the alphabet, numbers, colours, the family, school, clothes the time, directions the calendar, animals etc. The Hello World French activities would be useful as homework or its support if not actually used in class.