Practical art ideas, especially for crafts, are very easy to find on the web; however, it is more difficult to find really useful sites that link in some way to the curriculum!
Some great practical art ideas are put forward at the following sites:
- There are some free downloadable lesson plans are Mrs Brown’s Art site; the modern Mona Lisa is one free one, where children learn about the original and then create their own. The Egyptian Sarcophagus also teaches about the original, as well as being creative with their own version. These are topic-based ideas and are great to fit into the curriculum. There are 75 free lesson plans offered here, some for each age group!
- For the Love of Art is an interesting site; it is one teacher’s ideas shown in her student’s art work. It does not provide lesson plans, but lots of lesson ideas!
- Silver Graphics share free art lesson plans, with some based on the masters such as: Mondrian and Kandinsky, Monet and Georgia O’Keefe.
- The Internet Corkboard has a set of links to many different ideas and there are hundreds of ideas linked on this page. One idea is not really art in my opinion; but, it is very useful for all teachers teaching a foreign language: 50+ Language Arts Activities and Lessons for Elementary. The offerings seem a bit mixed up, some are based on art activities and some are more “Arts” based as in writing!
- The Teacher’s Corner has art plan and activities which they share freely.
- 27 Ideas For Kids Artwork You Might Actually Want To Hang shows some lovely ideas; the sort of things where all children could produce something that looks good!