Number Pieces, developed by the Math Learning Centre, is for both web use and iPads. There are two apps: Basic, the easier version for younger children – this puts great emphasis on place value, counting, addition and subtraction and an Advanced Version with more complex features. Number Pieces is also available at the Chrome Store and there is a web version of both the Basic and Advanced apps (linked below), which has additional features for representing larger numbers and multiplication and division concepts. Students use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide. This may be suitable for years 5 and 6 and more able mathematicians but the Basic version will cover most of the primary school age range.
“Number Pieces Basic by The Maths Learning Centre “helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students can use the number pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, count, regroup, add, and subtract. The drawing tools allow students to label representations and show their understanding.
• Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
• Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
• Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
• Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
• Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
• Write equations and expressions with the text tool.” (Maths Learning Centre)
The web version is great for use on an IWB – children can manipulate blocks and numbers, practice maths skills as required, solve problems puzzles etc.
Groups and individuals may do exactly the same on iPads.