Ampville – The Electric City is an interactive website which allows pupils to investigate and experiment, whilst learning about electricity. There are many different activities to be found on the site, I have listed a few of them below in order to provide a flavour of what can be found there.
- Make a torch – a real experiment – making a torch with a battery, wires, washing up bottle and torch.
- Test conductors and insulators – a virtual experiment, choosing various items to test online.
- Safety in the countryside – getting pupils to spot the dangerous places linked with electricity in the countryside
- Safety in the home – looking for eight danger spots regarding electricity in the house.
- Safety on the farm – spotting six danger points on the farm.
- Safety in town – seeking out dangers around the town.
- Homeward Bound – where the player has to find his or her way home from school but encounters many hazards to either deal with or avoid om the way.
- Lightning Dash – where the objective is to answer questions so that Bob, the cat, can get back home during a thunderstorm.
- How do power stations work – discovering how fuel is turned into electricity and finishes with the pros and cons of using fossil fuels.
- The Electrical Journey – discovering how electricity travels from the power station to your home with a click to animate picture which children can explore to learn.
This is a useful, fun little site to aid learning about electricity and may be suitable for science homework or reinforcement!